Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Bananaleaf Series

Gouache Painting The Bananaleaf Series: Magic Evening

This series started in the spring of 1993 in Oaxaca. Within the tropical landscape, inspired by the Oaxaca coast scenery, you find two faceless women.....to say that human beings are part of the earth herself. In other paintings in the series, the bodies are less discernible as female. Still, I value the feminine and the spiritual feminine and the rebirth of that energy in the last 40 + years. We need the nurturing of our Mother Earth and the point of view of feminism and deep ecology.

2 comments:

  1. I love your Gouache paintings, and it just so happens that my grand father Dario was Zapotec in blood from Oaxaca.

    He married my gram who came from French and Spanish descent.

    I hope you will stop by and become friendly with my blog, and my arte.

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jesse for your note. How lucky to be part Zapotec! Now in Eugene I really miss my Zap friends....and mi querida Oaxaca.....

    You are a busy blogger, I like your perspective and will check in again soon.

    I wish you well, Mitzi

    ReplyDelete